pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan 0.14.2 - Freezing

From: Budman
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan 0.14.2 - Freezing
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:46:10 -0400

Hi,

I recently did some shifting of drives on different controllers.  It appears
I had some heavy I/O issues.  A controller was acting up and stopped
responding today.

I have since installed a replacement, which I then separated all my IDE
devices onto separate controllers.  I ran some tests, and I no longer get
the system freezes.   It appears I have 3 different UDMA modes that were
causing the problems.  33/66/100 and a cdrom.

Now the drives are smoking and faster responding.  I think the one drive
was only getting 6MB/s now it is getting 28MB/s!!  :)  Same with the other
drive was only getting about 12MB/s and now its 30MB/s!!! So I think I solved
the problem.

What led me to check the drives was when I reverted back to an older version
of pan.  I had the same problems, which I didn't before.  So then I started
checking other things, and noticed the CDROM wasn't responding.  Then it
led to the Promise IDE controller not responding.

You can disregard my previous email.
Thanks! :)

Regards,
budman