pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan 0.14.2 - Freezing

From: Jeff Vian
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan 0.14.2 - Freezing
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:47:33 -0500

Budman wrote:

Hi,

I recently did some shifting of drives on different controllers.  It appears
I had some heavy I/O issues. A controller was acting up and stopped responding today.

I have since installed a replacement, which I then separated all my IDE
devices onto separate controllers.  I ran some tests, and I no longer get
the system freezes.   It appears I have 3 different UDMA modes that were
causing the problems. 33/66/100 and a cdrom.
For future reference

On ANY IDE controller, the entire bus runs at the speed of the slowest device. The IDE controller is not capable of running 2 different speed on the same cable.

Thus, if you have a CDROM on the cable, all devices on that cable will run at 33.

Similarly, if you have a drive that runs at 33 or 66 and another that will run at 133, if both are on the same cable, BOTH will run at the speed of the slower one.

Now the drives are smoking and faster responding. I think the one drive was only getting 6MB/s now it is getting 28MB/s!! :) Same with the other
drive was only getting about 12MB/s and now its 30MB/s!!! So I think I solved
the problem.

Yep, 33 is about 1/3 of the speed of 100, so the gain of 3/1 is to be expected.