pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan crashes when replying to long msg

From: Charlie Law
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan crashes when replying to long msg
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:35:05 +0000

On 01/30/2005 10:48:20 AM, Duncan wrote:
if so, as it might help me trace things down.  (I haven't tried much,
yet,
but I suspect it might be the latest gtk+ upgrade I did.)

O.K., I've got some test data that may be helpful.

I downgraded from gtk+ v. 2.6.1 to v. 2.4.3, and now the problem has gone away.

FYI, the test I'm using is replying to a post on the newsgroup alt.test.pl with the subject "test ignore" posted by raoul.

With gtk+ 2.4.3 installed, I can reply to the post as-is, retaining the entire message as quoted text. I get a warning about the length of the quote, but Pan lets me post my reply.

With gtk+ 2.6.1 installed, I cannot reply to the post as-is. I have to shorten the quoted text down to under 10 lines in order to post successfully.

In both cases, I open a compose window by clicking on the Followup to Newsgroup icon of Pan. I attempt to send the message by clicking on the Send icon of the compose window.

I'm running Slackware 10 updated to current. Slackware 10.0 was released with gtk+ 2.4.3. Slackware current includes gtk+ 2.6.1 instead of 2.4.3.

For the time being I'll leave gtk+ at 2.4.3 until I see that I'm having trouble elsewhere. Meanwhile, if somebody can propose a fix, I'd be happy to hear of ti.

Thanks! And thanks the lead, Duncan.

So