pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Pan crashes when replying to long msg

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Pan crashes when replying to long msg
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:50:51 -0700

Charlie Law posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:35:05 +0000:

> On 01/30/2005 10:48:20 AM, Duncan wrote:
>> if so, as it might help me trace things down.  (I haven't tried much,
>> yet,
>> but I suspect it might be the latest gtk+ upgrade I did.)
>
> O.K., I've got some test data that may be helpful.
>
> I downgraded from gtk+ v. 2.6.1 to v. 2.4.3, and now the problem has gone
> away.
>
> FYI, the test I'm using is replying to a post on the newsgroup alt.test.pl
> with the subject "test ignore" posted by raoul.
>
> With gtk+ 2.4.3 installed, I can reply to the post as-is, retaining the
> entire message as quoted text. I get a warning about the length of the
> quote, but Pan lets me post my reply.
>
> With gtk+ 2.6.1 installed, I cannot reply to the post as-is. I have to
> shorten the quoted text down to under 10 lines in order to post
> successfully.
>
> In both cases, I open a compose window by clicking on the Followup to
> Newsgroup icon of Pan. I attempt to send the message by clicking on the
> Send icon of the compose window.

Aye, gtk+ it looks like, then, and it's apparently any warning that
triggers the problem, which isn't surprising.

FWIW, I'm running gtk+-2.6.1-r1 (that's Gentoo revision one, the first
release being revision 0), on AMD64, so it's cross-arch, and gtk+-2.6.1 is
pretty much implicated.  I think I have a couple old binary packages I can
downgrade to and see what happens.  I can also try recompiling PAN against
the current gtk+, and see if that fixes it.

However, it'll likely be tomorrow when I get to it.  I just finished
troubleshooting xorg-x11-6.8.1.902, (that's the second rc of 6.8.2) here,
haven't slept, and am supposed to be back to work in a few hours.  <g>
Unless they call me in, I have a couple days off after 2nite, which is
good, because I've some hacking (as opposed to cracking) to catch up on!

Benjamin Franklin