pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan v0.14.2.91 crashing X hard (black screen)/messin

From: Phillip Pi
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan v0.14.2.91 crashing X hard (black screen)/messing up NVIDIA card badly...
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:37:41 -0700

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 06:47:50PM -0700, Phillip Pi wrote:

> > > 0.109 downloads the group, no problemo.
> > > And you can scroll thru it without any complications or crashes.
> > > So, problem solved ! (?)
> >
> > Interesting. OK, must be a Pan. I just upgraded my Kernel to 2.6.17-K2.
> > Still same! Ugh!
>
> FYI. I switched video card (BFG vs. ASUS), and still reproduced the problem.
> So, it doesn't seem
> like a hardware issue.

Someone told me to try the default nv driver thatr comes with X.org. So, I
changed Driver
"nvidia" to Driver "nv". I retested, and no X crash. I did get an one second
pause when saw the
newsgroup threads causing the crash.

Now, I am thinking there is a NVIDIA driver problem or maybe incompatibility
with Pan
v0.14.2.91, KDE v3.5.4, and xorg files:

# dpkg -l | grep ^ii |grep xorg
ii  xorg                              7.0.23                      X.Org X
Window System
ii  xorg-dev                          7.0.23                      the X.Org X
Window System
development librar
ii  xserver-xorg                      7.0.23                      the X.Org X
server
ii  xserver-xorg-core                 1.0.2-10                    X.Org X
server -- core server
ii  xserver-xorg-dev                  1.0.2-10                    X.Org X
server -- development
files
ii  xserver-xorg-input-all            7.0.23                      the X.Org X
server -- input
driver metapacka
ii  xserver-xorg-input-evdev          1.1.2-1                     X.Org X
server -- evdev input
driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-kbd            1.0.1.3-2                   X.Org X
server -- keyboard
input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-mouse          1.0.4-3                     X.Org X
server -- mouse input
driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics      0.14.6-1                    Synaptics
TouchPad driver for
X.Org/XFree86
ii  xserver-xorg-input-wacom          0.7.4.1-3                   X.Org X
server -- wacom input
driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-all            7.0.23                      the X.Org X
server -- output
driver metapack
Note: Didn't list the video drivers.

I will need to do more testings later on like using newer Pan. At this time, I
need to do higher
priorities. :(
--
"Ever watch ants just crawling around? They walk in that single straight line,
a long, a long, long mile of ants. Sometimes they will walk over and pick up
| |o   o| |         Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                 E-mail: address@hidden or address@hidden
    ( )