pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan v0.14.2.91 crashing X hard (black screen)/messin

From: Phillip Pi
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan v0.14.2.91 crashing X hard (black screen)/messing up NVIDIA card badly...
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:45:50 -0700

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 01:38:02AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Phillip Pi <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 26 Aug
> 2006 16:52:02 -0700:
>
> > Yeah, but the new one is limited to me. :( I wonder if I can compile the
> > old Pan and keep it separated. Can both versions share the .newsrc
> > safely with Tin?
>
> If you have only a single server, they should.  New-pan uses a newsrc per
> server, while old-pan had one for all servers IIRC.  I have no idea what
> tin uses.
>
> Also note that the scorefiles are different, altho both are based on
> slrn's scorefile.  New-pan is closer to it, while old-pan is closer to the
> xnews mod, in that xnews took regexs in the group line, while new-pan only
> takes *-wildcard style expressions (still case insensitive as xnews,
> however).
>
> Just make sure you keep a backup of any file you share...

I believe old Pan and tin use the same method because when I clear posts that I
read, I do not
see the old posts. I do not use multiple news servers, only giganews.com.

It would be nice if we can tell newer Pan which method to use. Here's the
thing. I use tin for
text reading. Pan for binary stuff. :) That's why I use both for one .newsrc
file.
--
"Ever watch ants just crawling around? They walk in that single straight line,
a long, a long, long mile of ants. Sometimes they will walk over and pick up
| |o   o| |         Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                 E-mail: address@hidden or address@hidden
    ( )