pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: FQDN and hostname

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: FQDN and hostname
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:26:59 +0000 (UTC)

"walt" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:28:53
+0000:

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:55:25 +0100, Thufir wrote:
>
>> The message id domain name can be configured from tools > posting profiles...
>
> Hmm.  I don't see a 'tools' menu anywhere.  Have I gone blind?
>
> I see Edit > Posting Profiles, but nothing relating to domain names.
>
> I will move my ~/.pan2 out of the way and see if I have been missing any
> recent pan magic tricks ;o)

The confusion is due to pan version.  New-pan works quite differently than
old-pan in this regard.  Thufir must still be using old (0.14.x) pan.
Indeed, a quick header check verifies that he is, 0.14.2.91.

Thufir:  The version you are using is no longer under development.  What I
referred to as new-pan is now version 0.113, with 0.114 likely to be
considered 1.0 release candidate 1.  New-pan is a full rewrite, now in
C++, while old-pan was written in C.  Among other things, new-pan makes far
more efficient use of memory so scales far better in heavy traffic binary
groups, and it now handles multiple servers automatically, with a unified
group list instead of one per server.  On topic, it now appears to let the
server set Message-ID.  For more details, see the posts to this
group/list since April 1, and pan's home page at http://pan.rebelbase.com .

(It's still up in the air whether pan 1.0 will be out in time to make
Debian version freeze for next stable Debian, but it'll be close.  We had
hoped to have 1.0 out by now, but turned out there were a few more nasty
bugs to work out first, so we're just now reaching rc1 status -- hopefully
for sure this time. =8^)