pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.

From: Steve Jeppesen
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006.10.07.0
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 21:55:03 -0500

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 15:47:48 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan wrote:

> Well, assuming you have KDE installed... it shouldn't be that hard.
> Download the script, check it if you don't trust me, put it in your
> path somewhere (I have mine in ~/bin, my regular user's bin dir,
> which is my path), and set it executable.  (I deliberately turned OFF
> the executable bit for posting, so folks wouldn't run it accidentally
> before they'd checked it if they wanted to.)
>
> >From there, run it, and it should spit out a help screen telling you
> >what
> else you need to do...  Among other things, you'll need kdialog (part
> of kdebase as I said so you'll have it if you have KDE installed) and
> uudeview. If your distribution doesn't have uudeview available,
> there's a link to its home page in the help text.
>
> Once those are installed, you have to tell pan to use pan-attach-kd
> as its external editor.  That's pretty simple.  On new-pan, open the
> post article window, and from the edit menu, first choose manage
> editor list and add it there, then choose set editor and select it
> from the choices you just added it to.  You should now be setup.  Run
> it from pan by using the run editor button in the post article window.
>
> If everything has been setup correctly, hitting the run editor button
> will popup the first dialog of pan-attach-kd, the encoding selection
> dialog. Here, you have three encoding choices, plus pass-thru and
> help.  (Read help for the pass-thru info, it allows you to setup a
> real external editor to pass the post to if you want to do that
> rather than attaching a file.) Yenc doesn't work on new-pan at this
> point, and text/identity encoding is for copying in a text file
> as-is, no encoding at all, so really the only true encoding choice
> ATM is uuencode.
>
> After selecting the encoding type and hitting OK, up pops the file
> selection dialog.  Select a file, and provided your user can read it,
> pan-attach-kd should attach it to the post and return you to the pan
> post article window, ready to hit the send-article button or continue
> with further attachments or edits as necessary.

Thanks Duncan
got it to work after I figured there must be some file size limit - I
posted in alt.binaries.test a post titled "pic test 7"  ;) with a pic
scaled down by 1/2 to 400x320.  The full size, 800x640 would hang at
the end of the sending window.

but at last, we can post with Pan!

tks again
Steve