pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006.10.07.0
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 15:40:52 +0000 (UTC)

Dave <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 08 Oct 2006
15:46:09 +0100:

>> > Is there a way to insert the encoded file before the sig?  Pan refuses
>> > to post the article stating the sig is waaaaay to0 big.  No real
>> > problem though.
>>
>> It /should/ be a (GNKSA) warning, not an error.  IOW, it should warn
>> you, but then let you go ahead.  At least it does in new-pan, and I
>> never had any trouble even with multiple attachments (I tried up to
>> three but they were moderate size jpegs) in old-pan (that was with
>> pan-attach, but that shouldn't matter for this). It warned, but there
>> was a continue anyway button, and since I knew what the problem was and
>> that it wasn't really the sig, I just hit that.
>
> Just re-checked.
>
> If don't add text in the message body I get:
> ERROR: Message is empty
> WARNING: Signature is more than four lines long
> ERROR: Message appears to have no new content.
>
> Not your fault or Charles' fault.  My fault for not reading it properly

I can't tell from that if you've groked the situation or not... BTW, I
didn't realize you weren't adding any text /at/ /all/.

The warning shouldn't be fatal. The errors I believe are. Thus, you have to
put /something/ in the message body for it to work.  I believe a simple
"dot return", that is, a simple period, on a line by itself, would do, tho
I haven't tested and it may need a bit more than that.  So, your choices
are either insert a bit of dummy text or do the sig rearrange thing.  In
my tests, I always had a bit of text so I didn't run into that one.  Maybe
I'll add something about it to the help text for the next version.

Anyway, now I can see why you were making a bigger deal of it than I
thought warranted.  <g>  If it was erroring out and refusing to post at
all, due to no text at all, then yes, if I had experienced it doing that,
I would have certainly considered it a bug and done thing a bit different
-- or if I had realized it was due to no text in the body, I would have at
least mentioned that in the help file.  However, it simply didn't occur to
me to even test that.  I guess that's what bug testers are for!  <g>

Very useful feedback!  Thanks!  Again, expect a warning about that in the
help text for the next version, now that I'm aware of it.