pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: [0.127] yenc decoding bug?

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: [0.127] yenc decoding bug?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 03:21:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 01:06:17 +0000, walt wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:28:58 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> ...I'd much /rather/ have the
>> old idea back, separate direct-save (binary, to the last or default
>> location for the group) and save-as (with the usual choices)...
>
> I had forgotten how Old Pan did it but, now that I've checked, I
> wouldn't mind going back to it either.  I notice that the new Save As >
> Actions drop-down menu includes three choices rather than two -- the
> third choice being one that I personally would never use under any
> condition I can think of at the moment:  'Save Attachments & Text'.
>
> I would much rather have one Toolbar icon for 'Save Text' and a second
> for 'Save Attachments' and be able to click them separately if I really
> wanted to do both (very unlikely).
>
> Charles, was there a request for that third combined option?  I'm
> curious to know why someone would need it.
>
> Thanks!

fwiw that third option was ‘the’ one way to possibly work around
the utf8 problems we were having in bug #424381.  I definitely say
we need to keep that option – we could try feeding the post into
external utils such as uudeview for processing in case we get
stuck again for any reason.

What’s more, it’d be even better to have a “Save as-is” option to
write the post exactly to a file without /any/ processing
whatsoever /including/ charset translations & MIME separators etc.
i.e. exactly as fetched from the NNTP server in its entirety.
Caching (saving each post separately into the article-cache) would
involve knowing how to locate the Message-ID, and you’d need to do
so one message-post at a time…  “Save as-is” could write the whole
thread of posts in chained order for cases that need to feed them
into third-party (external to pan2) utils, say for ex. yet another
new encoding scheme that replaces yEnc/uuencode/MIME/etc.

(p.s. I’m using this post to test typographic characters, in case
it looks strange on your ends ;) )