pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 0.129 - a few minor issues

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 0.129 - a few minor issues
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 10:11:21 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 13 May 2007 19:15:28
+0000:

> I also have a fairly complex set of
> rules set up in old pan, so it could be something in my old rules that's
> causing the behaviour I expect that's not being carried over to new pan
> (sans rules, obviously).

There's something about that statement that isn't quite parsing for me,
so I'm not sure if you are saying you copied over the old rules to the
new pan, or if you did /not/ copy them over, and started new.

The scorefile for both old and new pan are based on slrn's format, so
you /can/ carry the file over, but there's a caveat.  Old-pan tried to
use the xnews extension of being able to handle the newsgroup/section
entry as a regex (rather than a * wildcard, slrn-style) as well, thus
allowing consistent regex usage for everything.  Apparently (my
interpretation of Charles' comments), it decided at load time whether
those entries were regex or wildcard based, but of course such guessing
is prone to error, and it seems there were a few bugs filed due to pan
guessing incorrectly.

Anyway, new-pan ONLY does the strict-slrn *-wildcard news/section entry
matching.  Thus, if you carry over your old scorefile and as I did, used
regex matching for everything including news/section lines in it, you'll
have to go thru and edit those entries to strict *-wildcard matching.

It's therefore possible if you carried it over, that some of your watches
aren't working for that reason, and that /that/ might explain the issue
at hand.  IOW, the score format for those watches might be wrong, so it's
not picking them up as watches in the first place.