pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:11:52 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 28 Mar 2008
01:21:29 +0000:

> Anyway, this is the best so far, and with the right options (LDFLAGS
> including --as-needed), it may even be exactly the same size.  I gotta
> check it later, as I use that linker flag by default.

FWIW, including <glib.h> or <glib/gtestutils.h>, as I expected it might
be, same exact size, here.  In fact, I wasn't sure it had updated at
first, until I noted the timestamp on it had changed.  So that
--as-needed in my LDFLAGS appears to be working as advertised. =8^)

The trouble as Dan R noted on the bug but I don't believe here, is that
while including glib.h will work for both 2.14 and 2.16, it won't work
/before/ 2.14, as 2.12 used an entirely different arrangement,
apparently.  So if we did just that, we'd have to up the glib requirement
to 2.14, which is a shame as previous versions (from 2.4.0 according to
the Gentoo dependency string) were working fine until now.

So now he's looking at doing something with #if (GLIB_MAJOR_VERSION == 2
&& GLIB_MINOR_VERSION < 16) type hackery, which is more or less what I
had expected might be needed, only he actually knows enough about it to
probably pull it off, while I don't.