pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan on linux: nzb download do not save any files

From: Beso
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan on linux: nzb download do not save any files
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:47:35 +0200

2008/8/27 Duncan <address@hidden>:
> "Martin Nielsen"
> <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted
> below, on  Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:47:56 +0200:
>
>> Aaahh sorry.My fault.It states it can't find all the attachments (the
>> nzb contents must be outdated on my newsserver).
>
> Outdated... or simply incomplete.  Completion is a major issue for some
> servers.  This is one reason I've long argued that a good binary news
> hound will always want two news providers, generally one that serves as a
> bulk provider, less expensive per byte but not always reliable due to
> completion and retention issues, and one that serves as a high
> reliability provider, more expensive per byte, but there for when the
> bulk provider simply doesn't come thru.  The nice thing about it is that
> pan now handles multiple providers seamlessly.
>
> Of course, the folks with the big bucks can just use the high-cost
> provider for everything, and the folks on the most limited budgets or who
> aren't that serious about their binary news learn to take what they can
> get on the less reliable servers they can afford, but for the people in
> between...

and pan still has a big issue with downloading nzb.... it cannot cache
the nzb file but only download it, and if incomplete there are big
problems putting together the complete parts. that's why klibido for
this as nzb downloader is still better. or you could try out a new
project called nzb downloader which is just based on qt and not on
kdelibs as klibido. or at the end you could try out some windows nzb
downloader with wine. now wine is quite good in emulating the nzb
downloaders.

--
dott. ing. beso