pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:25:41 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 25 Feb 2009
18:23:53 +0000:

>       I just realized I haven't been getting posts I email to myself.
>
>       Under my Pan 0.133 Preferences, Preferred Apps, I have mail set
> to custom and "xterm -e alpine -url %s"
>
>       When I try to open the Preferred Applications under Gnome, I get
> a bug buddy popup saying it crashed; so I don't know for sure how that's
> set, but it should be simply Alpine.

It appears that whatever it's set to is somehow corrupted.  Maybe the
file pan stores the info in is itself corrupted.

The file in question is preferences.xml, in your pan data directory
(~/.pan2 by default).  The XML settings in question should be string
values.  In my copy here, the string values start on line 77 and continue
thru line 98.  The specific mail settings are on line 88 (name='mailer-
mode' value='kde' in my case) and if mailer mode is set to custom as it
likely is or should be for you, line 81 (name='custom-mailer'
value='thunderbird' is my setting here, and I think the default since I
use kde mode and thus probably have never changed the custom value).

You probably want to make a backup copy before you try editing it so you
don't screw things up even more if you make a mistake, and be careful
when editing that you keep the same format, so you don't mix up the xml
formatting.  Use your favorite text editor.

BTW, I see some news about the GPO that might interest you.

Transparency advocate campaigns to lead the GPO
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/25/116236

If you wish to discuss it, mailing me offlist is probably best as it's OT.