pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:11:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:43:32 -0500, David Shochat wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Beartooth
>> ... xlsfonts|most gave me
>> a humongous list full of details I have no inkling of. xlsfonts|grep
>> 9x21bas found nothing; and I didn't see how to use xfontsel.
>
> It has a man page that explains how to use it. I would never have
> guessed how it worked without reading the man page (it's got a (ahem)
> "interesting" user interface). You click on parts of the name and menus
> appear. But this is really old stuff (X fonts). The newer terms use more
> modern font technology.

        Hmmm ... I did try once asking on the Fedora list what terminal
emulations were extant. I got a bunch of names, but no recommendations
(probably since I neglected to say why I asked!); and their ages are not
exactly obvious. So what do you recommend that resembles but isn't gnome-
terminal? One good at setting colors would ease my ancient eyeballs ...

>>        But, persevering, I did discover that xterm -font
>>        lucidasans-
>> bold-18 gave me something legible. But I couldn't find a .Xdefaults
>> file; it wasn't in /home/btth, nor in /etc/X11 ... Where should I be
>> looking??
>>
> Nowhere. Just create it! In your home directory. The file doesn't exist
> until you have something you want to use it for.

        You will laugh. I haven't had occasion to create an empty file in
donkey's years. So, after much thought, I tried "touch" -- and tried to
check. It's there, of course, but somehow I missed it. So I've just spent
the past hour with the most basic books I have, all the way back to RH6
for Dummies, trying to find it. <sigh>

        Anyway, I did it, eventually. That 18-point font came out vastly
larger than it had with the ctrl-rt-click, for some reason; it's at 12
now, and better, but I'll have to come up with a better basic font. Maybe
I can get whatever my gnome-terminal uses for xterm -- or a better
emulation ...

        In any case, it's already *way* better: many many thanks!

        [...]
>>> Actually, even xterm does (ctl-right mouse).
>>
>>        *That* detail, which I'd never've found, was a big help!
>
> What? You haven't read all 1638 lines of the xterm man page? The
> relevant part here starts on line 1100 (in the version that is here).

        No, oddly enough, even using Konqueror to read man files hasn't
gotten me through all of them. How long do you suppose it's been since
there were people around who *knew* them all?

> Seriously, someone probably showed me this too long ago for me to
> remember. Or maybe I was just feeling experimental. xterm goes WAY back,
> so you could call it strange by modern standards. That's why I'm
> thinking you'd be happier with one of the newer terms. -- David

        I've been meaning to try a bunch; I even have an icon on a panel
on one of these machines that gives me a list of them ... You know how
that goes. Clue, please?