pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me

From: David Shochat
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:44:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:11:11 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

>       You will laugh. I haven't had occasion to create an empty file in
> donkey's years. So, after much thought, I tried "touch" -- and tried to
> check. It's there, of course, but somehow I missed it. So I've just
> spent the past hour with the most basic books I have, all the way back
> to RH6 for Dummies, trying to find it. <sigh>

touch is the way I would have created an empty file, but there's no need
to. With most text editors, you just give the same command to create the
file that you would to edit it if it were already there. For example,
assuming .Xdefaults does not already exist:
  gedit .Xdefaults &
Type what you want, and the first time you do File->Save, the file will
be created with the contents you've given so far. Or, if you brought the
editor up some other way, just use File->Save As...

>> ... That's why I'm
>> thinking you'd be happier with one of the newer terms. -- David
>
>       I've been meaning to try a bunch; I even have an icon on a panel
> on one of these machines that gives me a list of them ... You know how
> that goes. Clue, please?

Ok, I'll give you one suggestion. The one I'm using, is called simply
"Terminal", but it looks like the executable name is xfce4-terminal. It
has a menu bar like a modern app and you can set things like color and
font preferences using Edit->Preferences. I'm running XFCE desktop, but I
don't see why you'd have to. It looks like in Ubuntu, the package name is
simply xfce4-terminal. Here is the package description:
Xfce terminal emulator
This package contains Terminal, which is a lightweight and easy to use
terminal emulator for X11. It was created to fit nicely into the Xfce
desktop environment, but it also fits nice with other environments.

For people that already know GNOME 2 terminal and are searching for a
lighter but comparable replacement, Terminal might be the answer.
-- David (making another attempt to post via the gmane NG)