pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:04:22 -0500

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Beartooth <address@hidden> wrote:
> ... -- or else maybe find
> the xterm config file, if that's feasible.

The traditional way to configure the classical X clients (the ones
included in the X11 distribution), such as xterm, is to use resources.
I did this experiment: First I used xlsfonts to find a big-sounding X
font, and came up with one called 9x21bas (the specific ones available
depend on your X server setup). You can use xfontsel to see what
various X fonts look like. I tested it using:
  xterm -font 9x21bas.
To make xterm come up that way by default, I added this to my ~/.Xdefaults:
  *xterm*font: 9x21bas
Then run the command (while in your home directory):
  xrdb -merge .Xdefaults
Now using the command xterm (no arguments) brings it up with the big
font. You can change lots of other things with other resources
(background color, scrollbar, etc.). Linux comes with lots of
"terminal" programs, such as gnome-terminal, that all have their own
configuration schemes, so you might want to first decide which
terminal program to run Alpine in. xterm is just one of many
possibilities. Some have menus for fonts. Actually, even xterm does
(ctl-right mouse).
-- David