pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Panon Windows?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Panon Windows?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 23:35:08 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff posted on Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:05:59 -0800 as excerpted:

> On 03/09/2010 11:33 AM, Duncan wrote:
>> Interesting, and something I didn't know.  But I have a Christian
>> friend of Jewish heritage, that speaks often of the six-hundred-some
>> (?) commands, and with the below as well, "being a properly observant
>> Jew is not exactly easy" would definitely seem a truism, so an aspect
>> of "you're sure you know what you're getting into" would indeed seem
>> prudent.
>
> We consider ourselves "a nation of priests, and an example to the
> nations," and the fact that "we answer to a higher authority" isn't
> *just* an advertising slogan.  We don't expect everybody to live as we
> do, but we do try to show the world that it's possible for people to
> live in peace and in reasonable harmony with each other.  Believe what
> you want, worship as you please, but try to follow our example and live
> a righteous life.  (BTW, the very first of the 613 commandments is, "Be
> fruitful and multiply.")

+1 insightful.  =:^)

Really, I'm learning a bit about Jews, here, if nothing else (and it's NOT
nothing else).  The "nation of priests" viewpoint does seem a relatively
mature viewpoint to take.  (And of course, nearly all charismatic
Christians, at least, will be familiar with "kingdom of priests", as would
the Mormons, FWIW, for quite different reasons than the charismatics, but
perhaps closer to the Jews.)