pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: WAAAY OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Panon Windows?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: WAAAY OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Panon Windows?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 23:41:17 +0000 (UTC)

Alan Meyer posted on Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:44:39 -0800 as excerpted:

> I was brought up in a "Reform" Jewish congregation and was taught by my
> rabbi that heaven and hell don't exist at all and there is no afterlife,
> i.e., no such thing as paradise - though he was very circumspect about
> how he phrased such thoughts, being careful not to offend believers who
> disagreed with him.

I've always been a bit curious about that sort of belief, as if there's no
afterlife, what's the point?  I mean, I can see it for the atheists/
humanists, for whom the collective progress of the human race itself could
be held to be the goal, but for someone who believes in a God, what's the
point if there's nothing beyond the life we see and live now?

If someone wishes to enlighten me...