pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 00:29:04 +0000 (UTC)

Paul Crawford posted on Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:44:52 +0000 as excerpted:

> Duncan wrote:
>> So what kind of /possible/ insanity would prompt a developer to add
>> "anti- features", that is, additional code, complexity and potential
>> for bugs, that has benefit for *NO* user, when every bit of added
>> complexity is at
>
> Its called 'marketing' and the goal, as far as I can see, is not just to
> reduce copying, but to have a method of forcing an "upgrade" later on as
> activation becomes difficult or impossible.

Indeed.  But ultimately, it's because they've lost sight of serving the
customer/user, to the benefit of user, company, and shareholders all
three, and now are out to operate the users as only reverse coin-operated
consumers, not to the benefit of the user thus benefiting company and
shareholder too, but to milk the user for everything possible while
delivering as little as possible, to the immediate benefit of the company
and perhaps shareholders, but to the ultimate loss of the market and thus
the company and shareholders as well.

Agreed with the rest so no need to requote...