pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?

From: Paul Crawford (at UoD)
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 15:15:57 +0000

car or give it away you would be breaking the law. Copy protection,
while it is almost universally disliked, is simply a means of enforcing
the license agreement. My system does not lock the program to a specific
computer and it is for life. I do not charge for updates. IMHO charging
between 60% and 100% of the package price for updates is wrong. Let me

That sounds a fair deal to me. I have paid for software under similar terms and am happy with it (e.g. vuescan, autopano, 5spice to name a few off the top of my head).

item and sell it yourself without paying any royalties? Why should
software be any different? Should we simply scrap all copyright and
patent laws because they are not 'ethically legitimate'?

I have no problem with copyright for software, but I do for patents:

In practice, patents are often vague and it is essentially impossible for most, if not all, companies to know that in a 30k line program they are not somewhere violating one of the 7M+ patents out there.

Furthermore, I have a problem with the time period - 20 years validity was fine in the Victorian era where product life cycles were measured in decades, but not now when 5 years is several cycles of most products.

As a closed source software vendor it is in my interest to keep my
customers as happy as possible. My sales rely on my good reputation.
That means I have to fix bugs quickly and add new features as they are

Oh, if only Microsoft & Adobe were like you!

requested. Open source authors don't have that impetus. I use both
Windows and Linux. My Windows installations mostly work. If I try a
piece of software and it doesn't work I don't buy it. Now take my home

This actually raises a good point about closed/licensed software: can you try it first?

The ones I have bought are generally ones that had a trial option so I could find out if it worked for me, and so paying for the full version was not a difficult decision.

It still does not address the issues of:

(1) Trust, as an inspection of what is happening is not possible, but where the software is quarantined from internet access that is less of a problem.

(2) Interoperability, can you import/export data correctly from any propitiatory formats?

computer running Kubuntu 9.10. A lot of the applications that come with
it have annoying bugs or in several cases complete show stoppers. KDE
bombs on a regular basis. Ark us unusable. Archive mounter doesn't. It

I have little problem with the Gnome version bombing, maybe its a video driver issue?

contribute towards several OS packages. When I first started looking for
a good binary newsreader I found Pan suited me best of all the free and
commercial packages I tried. I am not saying Windows is perfect either.
For instance I know of at least one way to crash Windows Explorer on XP.

There are lots of bugs/irritations in windows as well, some are only apparent when you use it for prolonged periods (e.g. getting slower with time, applications failing to un-install cleanly, etc)

I do not personally agree with Microsoft's business methods and IMHO
Windows had been steadily going downhill since W2K. There are plenty of
software vendors out there who do push the limits of what is acceptable
but I am afraid the same can be said for any market.

Sadly true in my opinion.

For most work I used Ubuntu desktop and run a VMware image of w2k (or my work XP machine) for things that Linux won't do/do well enough. I would suggest it as the best general solution to the problems of security and application support. So long as you don't play fancy Windows games of course...