pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?

From: Paul Crawford
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:44:52 +0000

Duncan wrote:
So what kind of /possible/ insanity would prompt a developer to add "anti-
features", that is, additional code, complexity and potential for bugs, that has benefit for *NO* user, when every bit of added complexity is at

Its called 'marketing' and the goal, as far as I can see, is not just to reduce copying, but to have a method of forcing an "upgrade" later on as activation becomes difficult or impossible.

I have a paid-for copy of w2k that I use, but bulked at XP just for this reason (and that it offered little over w2k to make it worth while).

As for Vista and later with the huge resource hog of the built-in DRM, and the obvious decision to invest their efforts in anti-features, rather than fixing the underlying system, clearly I won't be going there!

Having said that, LINUX is not perfect and I really wish the Ubuntu team would fix some of the damn bugs rather than worry about what the next desktop theme is, or how to make it more web2.0 friendly.

It should *work* first and foremost, in a reliable and secure manner. Then add trinkets...