pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ssl problems, not working on ports 443 or 563

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ssl problems, not working on ports 443 or 563
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 05:17:06 +0000 (UTC)

bob posted on Sun, 01 Apr 2012 22:49:03 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:22:32 +0000, bob wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 21:16:02 +0200, Heinrich Mueller wrote:
>>

>>> Did you configure with --with-gnutls and set to SSL ?
>>
>> I did the build myself, but there was nothing that I could find to tell
>> me how to set the configure, and nothing in the blog mentioned it.
>> if the [ --with-gnutls and set to SSL ] is what I need to do then I
>> will redo the build. the gnutls was downloaded, but no configuration
>> notes were listed.
>> As far as I am concerned I would like to build a full blown version,
>> all the bells and whistles.
>>
> I ran  `autogen.sh --with-gnutls' still no cigar.  I get a pagefull of
> gnutls entries in synaptic, which one should I install and how should I
> set things up to compile with it.

Try adding the --with-gnutls at the configure step, after autogen.sh,
before make.

FWIW, the traditional tarball build process (regardless of package) is
untar, cd into the build dir, ./configure (thus, run the configure script
in the current dir, ./), make, make install.

The configure script takes various options (like our --with-gnutls) and
adapts the make scripts to the current environment, detecting various
tools and dependencies, etc.  Then the make actually builds the binaries
from sources, and make install actually installs them to their permanent
location on the system.  Often there's an optional make docs or some such
that you can run as well, before doing the make install.

But if you're building from a raw repository (as we are with live-git),
there's an extra step or two before the ./configure, that actually
rebuilds the configure script itself, adapting it not to the current
system (that's what configure does), but to the current changes in the
source code, since the last time time it was updated.  (This is rather
simplified, there's several possible steps, each of which adapts a
different thing.)  That's where the autogen.sh comes in.

But the (./)configure should still be run afterward, to detect what's on
the system itself and modify the make scripts accordingly, before the
actual make/build itself.

As for figuring out what switches are available, once the configure
script is current, before running the ./configure, run
./configure --help .  That will spit out a bunch of options, including
options that control where stuff installs, and options to enable/disable
various optional features.  --with-gnutls should be one such listed
option.

Then when you actually run the ./configure, you'll know what options to
feed it to get the result you want, turning on or off such things as the
optional spellcheck support, notifier support, ssl/gnutls support, etc,
as well as where you want the various bits (docs, manpages, infopages,
libraries, binaries, config-files... not all packages have them all)
installed, if you don't like the defaults.  Generally the default install
prefix is /usr/local, thus /usr/local/bin for binaries,
/usr/local/share/man/man* for manpages, etc.  FWIW, most distros use
simply /usr as their prefix for package-managed packages, so build with
that prefix.  That leaves the default /usr/local for locally installed
packages not managed by the distro's package-manager.

This is why I punted, saying I didn't have time to explain, earlier.
Because there was more to explain than I had time for at the time...