pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ssl problems, not working on ports 443 or 563

From: bob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ssl problems, not working on ports 443 or 563
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 19:45:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 08:05:50 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Joe Zeff posted on Mon, 02 Apr 2012 12:03:24 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> On 04/02/2012 11:46 AM, Duncan wrote:
>>> On gentoo I build from sources, but I've not had dependency hell since
>>> my Mandrake days, as there's usually at least a masked version of the
>>> ebuild that I can unmask somewhere, that has all the deps listed.
>>
>> I know that apt-get, the Debian/Ubuntu package manager, will resolve
>> deps and bring them in as needed, as I've seen it happen on my sister's
>> Ubuntu box.  And, yum, the Fedora equivalent, does the same.  I'm not
>> familiar with gentoo, so I have to ask: doesn't your package manager
>> take care of such things, or are you talking about building packages
>> that are not from the gentoo repos?
>
> Umm... somewhere along the line, one or both of us got off track.  I
> /thought/ what I wrote was perfectly clear, but obviously not, at least
> not to you, or your question either wouldn't be needed or would itself
> be clear to me as well.
>
> So I'll try backing up a bit and do a retrace.  Let's see if that helps.
>
> 1) Bob is trying to build pan from current git sources (so presumably he
> has a pan package and its deps are installed, but any new deps in the
> git version are not).  It builds fine without SSL support (thus the
> original question, since he didn't know the ssl support wasn't built),
> but won't build with it as his gnutls is too old (that's a new dep,
> since the ssl support is new, no released version with it, yet).
>
> 2) So he needs a new gnutls to build the new pan with ssl support.
> Again, the package he has would take care of deps as of the old gnutls,
> but he needs a newer one for pan, with newer deps.
>
> 3) As it happens, one of those newer gnutls deps is nettle, and in
> gentoo (what I use here) as well, the "stable" gnutls was too old for
> pan.  They hadn't stabilized the newer gnutls due to API changes related
> to its new nettle dependencies.
>
> I suspect that we're all clear to that point.

==== Gianormous Snip ====

Well, all the hassle with gnutls got me to post a message on os.linux.mint
about the problems and was sent to look at running stunnel4 between pan
and my news-server.  Got it done.  Unfortunately that will only (it
seems) work with one server, so my primary server it the one it is set to
use. So, no NNTP on gmane.  Did get GTKspell into the mix.

BTW I am running Mint 11 AMD64, and will keep it running as long as I
can. I am partial to Gnome 2. Maybe the guy who has the PPA site for Pan
will do a debian version, as he did for ver's 0.134 and 0.135 with all
the bells and whistles, But will also be able to run under Gnome2 and
kernel 2.6.38.xx

Noticed HM will be releasing `THE NEW PAN' this weekend, and I assume it
will also be a `BIY' (Build It Yourself) distribution.

Bob

Tuesday afternoon was spent listening to two scanners and my 2 Meter
Handi-talkie keeping an eye and ear on the ELEVEN Tornadoes (per the
National Weather Service) in the Dallas Area.  Thankfully I live in Far
North Central Dallas.