pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ssl problems, not working on ports 443 or 563

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ssl problems, not working on ports 443 or 563
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 18:46:01 +0000 (UTC)

bob posted on Mon, 02 Apr 2012 15:41:00 +0000 as excerpted:

> I downloaded the gnutls and started to build it, but, it required
> nettle..
> downloaded nettle to build it and found it required something else,
> which I could not find.  So, I gave up around 1.00 am CDT.
>
> I was awakened by my next door neighbor at 8:00, as he had locked
> himself out of his apartment, for which he had given me a key. Got that
> taken care of, so here I am again.
>
> Going to delete all the files in my working directory and re-populate it
> and start over again, now that I have a better idea of what I am doing.

Hmm... "dependency hell" they used to call it.  That's what a good
package manager deals with these days, so the user doesn't have to.

On gentoo I build from sources, but I've not had dependency hell since my
Mandrake days, as there's usually at least a masked version of the ebuild
that I can unmask somewhere, that has all the deps listed.  The exception
is when I'm following upstream as closely as with pan, but then I know or
fast learn pan's direct deps when they change, and the deps of deps are
again taken care of with gentoo ebuilds.

But AFAIK, that nettle dep and the API changes around it are one of the
reasons many of the distros only have the old versions at this point.
That answers HM's question of why so old.  Earlier versions didn't
require it.  On gentoo, I had to unmask the newer gnutls to use it, but
once I did, it pulled in all the other deps I needed, with maybe one more
unmasking, and portage telling me what it needed.