pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] SSL on Pan 137

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] SSL on Pan 137
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 22:08:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 19 May 2012 18:29:58 -0300, Ed Fletcher wrote:

> It turns out that Slackware come with GnuTLS v2.12.7 and Pan needs
> 2.12.10 or greater.  (I never saw the error until I read config.log.)
> So I've installed GnuTLS v2.12.19 but the configure script is still
> picking up 2.12.7 for some reason.
>
> Requested 'gnutls >= 2.12.10' but version of GnuTLS is 2.12.7
>
> Where does configure get the version information?

My guess is you now have both installed (maybe in different places) and
it's finding the older one first. I don't know what package manager
slackware uses (it had none when I last used it but that was a very long
time ago). In Debian or Ubuntu, you can go into synaptic and see right
away what version you have, but here's another way (I'm sure there must
be better ways): Go into /usr/lib (or probably /usr/lib64 if you have a
64-bit system) and do something like:

  find . -name 'libgnutls*' -print

In my case, that showed me that I'm getting it out of
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu.
One of the files in there is libgnutls.a. So I did this:

  strings libgnutls.a | grep ^Version

That showed several lines, but the interesting one was:

  Version: OpenPrivacy 2.12.14%s

which agrees with what synaptic told me my version was. Do the same thing
in /usr/local/lib (or /usr/local/lib64) and see if there's another one
there. If you built 2.12.19 from source, that's probably where it is
since /usr/local is normally the default prefix. Now, if you do have more
than one version, maybe you can delete the older version (watch out for
dependencies -- a package manager would help here). I don't know whether
you can use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to tell configure where to look first, if you
need to keep both versions.
-- David