pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] SSL on Pan 137

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] SSL on Pan 137
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 23:07:17 +0000 (UTC)

Ed Fletcher posted on Sat, 19 May 2012 18:29:58 -0300 as excerpted:

> On 05/18/2012 11:09 PM, David Shochat wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:52:50 -0300, Ed Fletcher wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I found the configure script after installing gnutls dev packages.
>>> It seemed to be set correctly (and no errors) but the compiled
>>> executable still didn't have an SSL option.
>>>
>> Did you remember to say --with-gnutls when you ran configure? It is not
>> the default. If you did remember to do that, look at what it says about
>> gnutls when configure is done. If it says "no", you have to look back
>> to see what it wanted but did not find, install that, and try again.
>> -- David
>
> It turns out that Slackware come with GnuTLS v2.12.7 and Pan needs
> 2.12.10 or greater.  (I never saw the error until I read config.log.) So
> I've installed GnuTLS v2.12.19 but the configure script is still picking
> up 2.12.7 for some reason.
>
> Requested 'gnutls >= 2.12.10' but version of GnuTLS is 2.12.7
>
> Where does configure get the version information?

Often/normally from pkgconfig files, which are replacing the old libtool
methods, etc.

Look in /usr/lib(64)?/pkgconfig/ (standard location, distro may change
it) for a gnutls.pc file.  Whatever that's pointing to is very likely to
be what's detected.  Also check the include files at (again, standard
location) /usr/include/gnutls/* , as those are likely to be the headers
built against.

FWIW, gentoo doesn't have anything even /close/ to that old still in the
tree at all.  The oldest version, stable on all archs, is 2.12.18.  Also
available are 2.12.19 and 3.0.18 and 3.0.19, with the last one the one
I'm using for pan (and everything else depending on gnutls) here.
However, there were some dependency changes around the 2.12.16 or so
point -- gnutls started depending on nettle -- and between that and minor
changes that require patching older versions of many packages depending
on gnutls, it took awhile for distros to bump beyond that, and you appear
to be on an older one that hasn't, yet.

I actually unmasked the newer versions here, as pan needed the latest
(3.0.12 or some such) when it first switched from the initial openssl
secure connection implementation (openssl is problematic for gpled apps
like pan due to gpl incompatibilities in its license, so most of the
distros would have failed to activate the security option if pan had
stayed with openssl, in ordered to actually be able to legally distribute
it).  In ordered to do that, I had to dig up patches and apply them or
unmask newer versions of some of the other gnutls depending packages, in
ordered to get them to build.  AFAIK I still have one (claws-mail) that I
have to revert to an older gnutls in ordered to be able to build, then I
can upgrade gnutls again and the app will run, it just won't build with
the newer version yet.  Fortunately, after he got the initial
implementation working, HM was able to relax the gnutls requirements a
bit, but obviously it's still too high for what slack is running ATM.