pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Select Headers with RE in the Subject/Author Entryfield?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Select Headers with RE in the Subject/Author Entryfield?
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 00:47:06 +0000 (UTC)

Andrew Nile posted on Tue, 09 Jun 2015 21:58:14 +0100 as excerpted:

> On 8 June 2015 at 08:16, Heinz Mezera
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'd like to select Headers in the Header-Pan with a regular expresssion
>> in the Subject/Author field and need your help. Is this possible and
>> how do I do it.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty sure that field doesn't accept regular expressions. It only
> matches characters typed in there with the headers.
>
> However, it is possible to add a scoring rule with the desired regex and
> then sort the header pane window by score.
>
> I suspect Duncan is thinking of the scoring rule part and hasn't
> realised you are using the search box at the top of Pan. :-)

No, search box is what I'm testing too.

(At least in live-git pan) There's a dropdown menu (click the magnifying
glass icon at the left of the box) that lists various search types,
including Sub or Auth (regex), which is the one I'm testing, and which
I'm presuming Heinz is attempting to use as well.

The default, however, is literal text search, subject and author.  If the
that isn't changed or if one of the other not-explicitly-regex choices is
chosen, of course the search will be literal text, not regex.

Tho...  I think the regex choice has been around since well before the
0.139 he's running, but if it hasn't, or if he's trying to use the
literal text search not the regex choice, that /would/ explain why regex
searching isn't working for him...