repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Gitlab.com doesn't show explore unless logge

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Gitlab.com doesn't show explore unless logged in…?
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 20:38:03 -0500

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 12:30:33 -0800, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> A direct URL link to a project at Gitlab.com is visible privately, but
> visiting Gitlab.com directly has absolutely no clear way to find a
> project. Everything is about the idea of what Gitlab is and nothing is
> oriented toward guiding a visitor who wants to find some software there.
> The Gitlab.com/explore page is not linked anywhere, and even if you go
> to it manually, there's no search capacity until after you log in.

You're right, it isn't very clear---the easiest way I found was clicking
on "GitLab.com" on the main page, and then "Explore projects on
GitLab.com".

My hunch is that it is this way because they have GitLab the project,
and then GitLab the hosted instance.  But it would still benefit from
some clarity, since logged in users have a completely different
experience (and website, even!).

I CC'd Sytse on this.

--
Mike Gerwitz