repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Gitlab.com doesn't show explore unless logge

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Gitlab.com doesn't show explore unless logged in…?
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 18:22:23 -0800

On 11/05/2015 06:14 PM, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 18:04:03 -0800, Aaron Wolf wrote:
>> Clicking "Gitlab.com" goes to this page:
>> https://about.gitlab.com/gitlab-com/ which doesn't even have the word
>> "explore" anywhere on it. There's simply zero links to finding a project
>> page.
>>
>> So, I'm not sure, Mike, where you saw that link you're talking about,
>> but it isn't shown on any regular public page that I can find.
>
> Sorry, there are two links named "GitLab.com": the one in the header,
> and the large link in the center of the page ("GitLab.com On Our
> Server").
>
> This inconsistency doesn't help any either.

Oh, I see. That goes to http://gitlab.com/users/sign_in which is not at
all what I am looking for as a visitor trying to find a project's
repository. Yes, I see that if I click that anyway, there's a footer
link to Explore.

Overall, it feels like as a visitor interested in finding hosted free
software projects, this is not for me, this is not a site where I will
find projects and source code or anything. It's unlikely I'd figure this
out. It seems to be discouraging me from browsing the projects.

This may or may not be covered by the final criteria we have for
repositories, but I would never feel comfortable recommending projects
use a site that makes it hard for visitors to discover them.

--
Aaron Wolf
co-founder, Snowdrift.coop