repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Please review codeberg.org

From: Adam Faiz
Subject: Re: Please review codeberg.org
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 19:35:07 +0800

Sounds good to me.
Here's my list of answers:

1. Does all important site functionality that's enabled for use with that package work correctly (though it need not look as nice) in free browsers, including IceCat, without running any nonfree software sent by the site?
>Yes, the codeberg.org website works without any issues with the LibreJS extension and doesn't require any nonfree software to function, including Flash. It also works if _javascript_ is disabled.

2.Does it discriminate against classes of users, or against any country?
>No. From their Terms of Use(see: https://codeberg.org/codeberg/org/src/branch/master/TermsOfUse.md), they do not discriminate against any
classes of users, or against any country.

3. Does it permit access via Tor? (we consider this an important site function)
>Yes, the website works as usual.

4. Does the site's terms of use contain any odious conditions?
>No. You can check them out here: https://codeberg.org/codeberg/org/src/branch/master/TermsOfUse.md
It simply says that you're responsible for your own actions and applying appropriate security measures to protect your own data and account
access credentials, among other things.

5. Does it recommend and encourage GPL 3-or-later licensing at least as much as any other kind of licensing?
>Yes.

6. How's the HTTPS support? Is it done properly and securely, including the site's certificates?
>Yes. All of their websites use HTTPS.

So far, codeberg.org has a score of C.

7. Is all code sent to the user's browser free software and labeled for LibreJS or other suitable free automatic license analyzer, regardless of whether the site functions when the user disables this code?
>Unfortunately, no. Although all the code sent to the user's browser is free software, not all of it is labeled properly. The homepage fits the criteria, but some scripts are not labeled, such as this code snippet(when I visited my repo):
const isSSH = localStorage.getItem('repo-clone-protocol') === 'ssh';
		const sshButton = document.getElementById('repo-clone-ssh');
		const httpsButton = document.getElementById('repo-clone-https');
		const input = document.getElementById('repo-clone-url');
		if (input) input.value = (isSSH ? sshButton : httpsButton).dataset.link;
		if (sshButton) sshButton.classList[isSSH ? 'add' : 'remove']('primary');
		if (httpsButton) httpsButton.classList[isSSH ? 'remove' : 'add']('primary');
		setTimeout(() => {
			if (sshButton) sshButton.classList.remove('no-transition');
			if (httpsButton) httpsButton.classList.remove('no-transition');
		}, 100);

Furthermore, most of the _javascript_ licences of the website at https://codeberg.org/js/licenses.txt are really the Expat License, even though they use the vague term "MIT License".

8. Does it make sure not to report visitors to other organizations; in particular, no tracking tags in the pages. This means the site must avoid most advertising networks
>Yes, you can read it's privacy policy at https://codeberg.org/codeberg/org/src/branch/master/PrivacyPolicy.md

9. Does it discourage bad licensing practices? (no license, unclear licensing, GPL N only).
Yes. When making a repo, the licences that you can choose from are clear in their naming and cannot therefore be unclear. It allows
not having a license, but it recommends that you choose one from those available.

10. Does it make sure not to recommend nonfree licenses for works of practical use?
>Yes, because all the license choices available gives everyone the four freedoms.

11. Does all important site functions work correctly (though may not look as nice) when the user disables execution of _javascript_ and other code sent by the site?
>Yes, however you can't download the repository without using _javascript_ and must instead use the git clone command.

12. Is the server code released as free software?
>Yes. It's all right here: https://codeberg.org/Codeberg

13. Does it encourage use of GPL 3-or-later as the preferred option?
>No. It encourages all free software licenses equally, copyleft and non-copyleft.

14. Does it offer use of AGPL 3-or-later as an option?
>Yes.

15. Does it prohibit nonfree licenses (or lack of license) for works for practical use?
>Yes, it does. As a matter of fact, it prohibits nonfree licenses as part of their Terms of Use(under "Repositories, Wikis, and Issue Trackers"):
https://codeberg.org/codeberg/org/src/branch/master/TermsOfUse.md
It doesn't recommend that not having a license when making a repo.

16. Does it make sure not to recommend services that are SaaSS?
>Yes, because they avoid using proprietary software as part of their infrastructure to be completely independent.They strive to work as a community to help on making codeberg better. They don't mention anything that is SaaSS.

17. Do they say “free software,” not “open source.”?
>No, as they use the neutral term "Free and Open Source Software" and "Open Source", like in their Mission Statement:
https://blog.codeberg.org/codebergorg-launched.html

18. Does codeberg.org clearly endorse the Free Software Movement's ideas of freedom?
>No, as it's a mix. In their mission statement they say "Open Source" and "Free and Open Source Software":
https://blog.codeberg.org/codebergorg-launched.html.
On the other hand, their "What is Codeberg?" page unilaterally says "Free Software":
https://docs.codeberg.page/getting-started/what-is-codeberg/

19. Do they avoid saying “Linux” without “GNU” when referring to GNU/Linux?
>I'm not sure about this, as the topic isn't mentioned on any of their websites.

20. Does codeberg.org insist that each nontrivial file in a package clearly and unambiguously state how it is licensed?
>No.

21. Does codeberg.org allow visitors to look and download without authenticating?
>Yes, as you can just visit someone's repo on the website and download without making an account.

22. Does codeberg.org not log anything about visitors(A+1)?
>No. The server log files can contain client IP addresses and user agent strings from connecting computers. However, these log files are destroyed automatically within at most seven days.(Source: https://codeberg.org/codeberg/org/src/branch/master/PrivacyPolicy.md )

23. Does codeberg.org follow the criteria in The Electronic Frontier Foundation's best practices for online service providers?
>Yes, as it's Privacy Policy follows those best practices: https://codeberg.org/codeberg/org/src/branch/master/PrivacyPolicy.md

24. Does codeberg.org follow the Web “Content” Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0) standard?
>It generally does, but I didn't want to go through the effort of checking it myself, so I used webaccessibility.com from https://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tools/ to do it for me. Both of these websites don't work with the LibreJS extension though so I had to make exceptions. I've attached a screenshot of codeberg's WCAG 2.0 score. If this question means it follows the standard  100%, then the answer's no.

25. Does codeberg.org follow the Web Accessibility Initiative — Accessible Rich Internet Applications 1.0 (WAI-ARIA 1.0) standard?
>No. It may not be an Accessible Rich Internet Application, but it's an easy to navigate website for hosting projects.

26. Is all data contributed by the project owner and contributors exportable in a machine-readable format?
>No. It might be possible one day though.(Does git count?)

SUMMARY:
codeberg.org is rated C because it doesn't follow one criterion in grade B:

All code sent to the user's browser must be free software and labeled for LibreJS or other suitable free automatic license analyzer, regardless of whether the site functions when the user disables this code.
-This is because some scripts aren't labeled for LibreJS even though they are free software, and the licenses at https://codeberg.org/js/licenses.txt
that say "MIT License" should be changed to say "Expat License".

If this were to be resolved, codeberg.org would be grade B.

Continuing on that note, if codeberg was raised to grade B, these criteria in grade A would need to be resolved for codeberg.org to be grade A:

1.Codeberg would need to encourage use of GPL 3 or later as preferred option.
2.Codeberg would need to say "free software", not "open source".
3.Codeberg would have to clearly endorse the Free Software Movement's ideas of freedom.
4.Codeberg would need to avoid saying “Linux” without “GNU” when referring to GNU/Linux.(I'm not sure about this as their isn't any
evidence of this when it comes to codeberg.org).
5.Codeberg would need to insist that each nontrivial file in a package clearly and unambiguously state how it is licensed.

If the previous criteria were fulfilled, these criteria would need to be followed before codeberg would get extra credit and get A+ status:

1.Does not log ANYTHING about visitors. Codeberg gets very close to this. Check criterion no. 22 for details.
2.Follows the Web “Content” Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0) standard.
-There are 230 errors using HTML_CodeSniffer.
3.Follows the Web Accessibility Initiative — Accessible Rich Internet Applications 1.0 (WAI-ARIA 1.0) standard. Currently codeberg.org doesn't
achieve this. There doesn't seem to be any WAI-ARIA 1.0 compliance checkers that I found on the internet.
4.All data contributed by the project owner and contributors is exportable in a machine-readable format.Codeberg doesn't achieve this(I think?).
I don't know if git counts as it is the one that stores all the project data, but if so then this problem is solved.

Codeberg
CURRENT GRADE:C

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021, 11:47 AM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > Do I just evaluate codeberg.org based on the Ethical Repo Criteria and
  > report back based on that?

Yes.  How about if you make a list of the answers for each criterion?