repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Re: Please review codeberg.org

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Re: Please review codeberg.org
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 23:36:38 -0400

  > 9. Does it discourage bad licensing practices? (no license, unclear
  > licensing, GPL N only).
  > Yes. When making a repo, the licences that you can choose from are clear in
  > their naming and cannot therefore be unclear. It allows
  > not having a license, but it recommends that you choose one from those
  > available.

Could you show me the list of licensing options they present?

  > 16. Does it make sure not to recommend services that are SaaSS
  > <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html>?
  > >Yes, because they avoid using proprietary software as part of their
  > infrastructure to be completely independent.

There may be a misunderstanding here.  SaaSS is NOT the same thing as
using nonfree software.
https://gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html
is supposed to explain what SaaSS means, but maybe it was not clear.

Anyway, for this please put down "not sure" as the answer; someone else
will determine the answer later.

  > 17. Do they say “free software,” not “open source.”?
  > >No, as they use the neutral term "Free and Open Source Software" and "Open
  > Source", like in their Mission Statement:
  > https://blog.codeberg.org/codebergorg-launched.html

Disappointing.  Note that "Free and Open Source Software" is _meant_ to
be neutral, but in practice it does not achieve that goal.  To be
neutral, you should say "Free/Libre and Open Source Software", or "FLOSS".

See https://gnu.org/philosophy/floss-and-foss.html.

  > 19. Do they avoid saying “Linux” without “GNU” when referring to GNU/Linux?
  > >I'm not sure about this, as the topic isn't mentioned on any of their
  > websites.

Since they never handle this _wrong_, I think they pass that test.

  > 26. Is all data contributed by the project owner and contributors
  > exportable in a machine-readable format?

  > >No. It might be possible one day though.(Does git count?)

I don't understand "(Does git count?)", sorry.

  > SUMMARY:
  > codeberg.org is rated C because it doesn't follow one criterion in grade B:

We can give them grade C for now.