repo-criteria-discuss

Re: You rate savannah.gnu.org at A? AYFKM?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: You rate savannah.gnu.org at A? AYFKM?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 01:50:54 -0500

When people whose goals are quite different from ours urge us to push
for their goals, we should be very skeptical.  What they are actually
asking is that we drop our movement and join theirs instead.  That is
generally a mistake.

With rare exceptions, what we should respond is, "We will keep pushing
for our goals."

  > I think we can extract a specific and concrete suggestion from Pau
  > Amma's messages to move A+3 and A+4 into the C criteria.

I guess that is what perse would prefer, given per goals.
But that is not what we should do.

  > At the moment it seems consistent with the GNU Accessibility Statement
  > [0] which has support that such items as a "recommendation" and not a
  > requirement.

That's why we made A3 and A4 optional: because accessibility is a
secondary issue, not our primary goal.  It is nice to have, but not
what we fight for.  What we fight for is respect for users' freedom.

  > There may be some merit to at least lowering them, as it could help
  > make websites more accessible to people with screen readers.

I don't think there is any chance of that.

Our influence on repo sites is very limited.  If we start pushing for
too many things, including secondary "nice things to have", we will
dilute that influence, and be less effective at convincing sites to
respect freedom.

You basically said that yourself:

  > As it is
  > it seems difficult enough to convince code-hosting sites to meet the C
  > criteria even as it is, without nonfree JavaScript and etc. Adding more
  > requirements would make this already difficult challenge even moreso.

We must stay focused on our purpose, and not give priority to
tangential "nice things to have."