sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] dumping, importing, and KDB size

From: Dan Egli
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] dumping, importing, and KDB size
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:52:21 -0700 (MST)

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if there is a way to do incremental keydumps.  There appears to
> be an option -dump_new_only but I do not really understand how it works.
> Can I make it so that only keys modified after yyyy-mm-dd are dumped?

Never used that, sorry.

> Secondly I understand that in order to import a new keydump, one has to
> setup a second SKS instance and have it gossip with the main server.  Is
> there a way to only sync in one direction?  Is there a chance to get
> stats about the sync?  Like n keys new, m keys updated with k new
> signatures, l subkeys, and o new uids?

Yaron would be the one to ask about that. Again its not something I've used.

> Thirdly, the KDB directory seems to grow and grow and grow.  It's hard
> to believe that there are so many new keys since I started operating the
> keyserver (the KDB dir is 1.6 gigs, the dump dir is 2.1 gigs).  Is it
> possible to somehow 'compress' the KDB directory?  For instance, are all
> those log files needed?

No. As an example my KDB dir had 118 log files today. Only #118 was
needed. the easiest way to take care of that is to change to your KDB
directory (and do the same in your PTree dir), then run: rm -f
`db_archive`

db_archive with no paramaters will return the names of any unused log
files present in the database. By using db_archive as an input to rm you
remove all unused log files, which for me was 117 log files. That's a fair
bit of space.