sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Min. Requirement for SKS Version in the Pool

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Min. Requirement for SKS Version in the Pool
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:44:44 +0200

On 2012-06-25 16:38, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2012, at 10:24 AM, Phil Benchoff wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 09:20:07PM +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
>>> As of *1. August 2012* I intend to change the minimum version for
>>> qualification in the pool to 1.1.3.
>> Our keyserver runs on Centos 5.7.  The distribution BDB is 4.3.29 and we
>> have ocaml 3.12.0.  The server is a VM.
>>
>> * Is there a suggested version of BDB other than >= 4.6?  Any reason to
>>  pick 4 versus 5?
> Centos 5.7 ships many versions of Berkeley DB for "compatibility",
> not just db-4.3.29 uses in "system" db for clueless/busted versions
> of software that continues to build with
>       #include <db.h>
>
> Instead, add db-5.3.x that installs into /usr/include/db53 and
> add -I/usr/include/db53 to build flags.

My system is running most stable using 4.7, but that is probably
specific to my setup

> Shared llbraries will not collide, and linkage flags should be  -ldb-5.3,
> and pristine "vendor" software will not be disturbed whatsoever.
>
>> * Is there any need to build ocaml 3.12.1?
> This I can't answer for sure, but I suspect you will need 3.12.1.

No, it should build fine with 3.11 and 3.10 as well

>> * It looks like there is a patch for the VM clock issue.  Is it in 1.1.3?
> VM time skew was a big deal around RHEL5 iirc, and it may be fixed
> in the kernel. I personally haven'y seen time skew issues running in
> CentOS VM's in 2y without any patching.
>
> But Phil Pennock's patch was posted in the last 4 weeks, quite easy,
> in archives.

It very much depend on the clocksource used in the kernel (usually
workaround to switch to tsc). But as for the patch using UniqueTime,
this is included in Trunk (i.e. not 1.1.3)

See changelog at
https://bitbucket.org/yminsky/sks-keyserver/src/3d12f5a0d7cf/CHANGELOG

--
----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
address@hidden
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/