Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 23:35:41 +0100

2010/3/24 Henry Litwhiler <address@hidden>
On 3/24/10 6:14 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

2010/3/24 Matt Lee <address@hidden>
I'd like to see a discussion on which PHP framework we should be using,
if any.

Symfony 2.0 -- http://symfony-reloaded.org/ is one that has already been
mentioned.

Yes this seems to be probably the leading candidate from our research too.

http://fatfree.sourceforge.net/

Was mentioned on #irc too

Would be interested to see the thoughts of others ...

While PHP could be a very good tool for displaying data and providing an interface with GNU Social, I feel that it might be worth considering making the "core" GNU Social application a desktop one that would perhaps interface with an existing, standardized stack (LAMP, etc.) to serve the files to other users' web browsers. The (Python? C?) desktop application could include basic setting options, but would probably be mainly just something running in the background, keeping the server/p2p connections live.

This is also the lines I was thinking for something similar I'm doing, a single or multi user PHP system, then maybe an app in python, however we already have gwibber, and the whole "social from the start" integrated social desktop stuff (Gnome/KDE) ... so there may be an argument for reuse ...

--
Henry L.