Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?

From: Pablo Martin
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:55:35 +0100

Hi!

On 24/03/10 22:52, Matt Lee wrote:
> I'd like to see a discussion on which PHP framework we should be using,
> if any.
>
> Symfony 2.0 -- http://symfony-reloaded.org/ is one that has already been
> mentioned.

I think there will never be one framework, as we already have many
applications in different languages which are open source... each will
create different guettos and the best we can hope is they will be
interconnected by having solid protocols for federation, and that
everyone will be able to choose the server, software and language they
like more to host their data, so... if we can connect the ones we have
we will be there. as such maybe gnusocial should focus more on the
federation technologies or protocols that will be considered, and
sanctioning softwares that comply, then each "team" can implement it on
their own software. Statusnet (php), crabgrass (ruby), elgg (php), pinax
(python) ,psyc (weird language :P)...

Anyways... if i was to choose a web framework, after what i know right
now, i would go a lot more for javascript interface reading directly
from something like a rest interface (or directly over psyc), allowing
for as less work on the servers as possible. If we want an old style
framework, where everything is rendered on the server, i'd say we have
very good *applications* at the moment worth considering (i think
crabgrass and elgg are the most mature, but i dont know all the options).

Greetings

 Pablo