Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:08:20 -0700 (PDT)

Henry Litwhiler <address@hidden> wrote ..

> Python is, subjectively, a better language, and ought to be used as much
> as possible (though not in roles that it is not suited for). I say
> subjectively because it really is a matter of opinion.
>
> Python is *far* more suited for running as a desktop application than PHP.
>
> I also don't think that we're on the same page when it comes to
> commodity web hosting. While users should be able to outsource their GNU
> Social install to ensure maximum uptime, making it so that the exact
> same GNU Social application runs on both personal and commodity hosting
> shouldn't be a priority. We can have one version of GNU Social for
> people who want to run it on an outsourced server, and one version for
> people who want to run it at home.
>
> Since (generally) PHP code only runs when a user accesses it via the
> browser, making the install continuously receive and send out data would
> be quite a task indeed, if done entirely in PHP.

I 100% agree with Matt -- PHP is the way to go.

It wouldn't have run to run continuously. Maybe I'm wrong but I got the
impression that Matt Lee was talking about a "pull" system, rather than push
(see below.)

So the end user would access their copy of GNU Social, perhaps write something
new for others to see (which would be stored in an RDBMS) while also pulling
updates from their friends PHP/RDBMS system. The reverse would then happen when
their friends accessed their copy of GNU Social.

There's no need for some backend GNU Social "process" to be "running" all the
time, except the web & database servers.

While desktop, mobile, etc. applications could be created I see that as coming
later, if at all.

Anyway, copying what Matt said below...

Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote ..