Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?

From: Sean Corbett
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:36:07 -0400

Hi Henry,

On 03/28/2010 11:54 AM, Henry Litwhiler wrote:

I also don't think that we're on the same page when it comes to commodity web hosting. While users should be able to outsource their GNU Social install to ensure maximum uptime, making it so that the exact same GNU Social application runs on both personal and commodity hosting shouldn't be a priority. We can have one version of GNU Social for people who want to run it on an outsourced server, and one version for people who want to run it at home.

I don't think that this would be a good idea. The software someone will need to run to have a GNU Social node should be uniform so that installation and maintenance will be uniform, in the same vein as something like Wordpress. Also, maintaining different versions for different hosting scenarios will create more work; right now, I think we need to focus on unifying to work on just one piece of software (maybe divided logically into the groups elijah presented), not a bunch of different versions of the same thing.