Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:11:29 -0700 (PDT)

Ted Smith <address@hidden> wrote ..

> The question is, do we want end users who install their own nodes to use
> a standard daemon + UI (or just a single program that functions as
> both), or a GLAMP stack + PHP GNU Social + web browser pointing at
> localhost.

The web server + database + PHP model works in both situations where someone
might run it locally as well as in other cases on dirt cheap hosting (without
needing your web host to install "the GNU Social application") -- PHP is
ubiquitous -- and has the added benefit of not having to divide the focus of the
community by maintaining more than one codebase for now. That isn't to say that
things can't branch out later, but that's /later./