Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?

From: Henry Litwhiler
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:50:29 -0400

On 3/28/10 12:44 PM, Ted Smith wrote:
On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 10:49 -0400, Matt Lee wrote:
On 03/28/2010 07:42 AM, Henry Litwhiler wrote:

The Python application wouldn't display things to the browser, and I'm
not saying that we use Python to replace PHP's role as our web
application language - instead, we can use it to manage the backend
communications between GNU Social users.
What backend though? The user must be able to run a complete GNU social
system in a browser, on commodity web hosting, in PHP.

I don't see what Python can do that PHP can't.

Python can provide a platform for developing software intended to run on
personal computers, not web hosting. I think a lot of people (myself
included) see more value in a truly p2p GNU Social, and that means
running on personal computers. Python fits that better than PHP.

Maybe this is something that should be discussed in its own thread, so
that we can reach consensus on this specific issue.
I agree with you entirely - both on your point on a p2p GNU Social and on your point on starting a new thread.

--
Henry L.