Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which framework?
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:21:28 +0100

On 28/03/10 16:54, Henry Litwhiler wrote:

> Python is, subjectively, a better language, and ought to be used as much
> as possible (though not in roles that it is not suited for). I say
> subjectively because it really is a matter of opinion.

Subjectively I agree.

It is not however a more widespread language on servers.

> I also don't think that we're on the same page when it comes to
> commodity web hosting. While users should be able to outsource their GNU
> Social install to ensure maximum uptime, making it so that the exact
> same GNU Social application runs on both personal and commodity hosting
> shouldn't be a priority. We can have one version of GNU Social for
> people who want to run it on an outsourced server, and one version for
> people who want to run it at home.

We do not have unlimited people to do this though. Yet.

So if we had to prioritize, this is meant to be a network service
project. 8-)

> Since (generally) PHP code only runs when a user accesses it via the
> browser, making the install continuously receive and send out data would
> be quite a task indeed, if done entirely in PHP.

Well PHP runs when the server services a request. That request needn't
come from a human being...

- Rob.