Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure

From: Carlo von Loesch
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:05:35 +0200 (CEST)

| On 09:52, Tue 30 Mar 10, Carlo von Loesch wrote:
| > with a license that goes beyond the Affero GPL. It should be
| > forbidden to run this software in virtual machines as the privacy

cal typeth:
| I'm not sure how could we check if such license is being applied,
| althought I see your point, and it is pretty scary...

If anyone comes asking the ISP to show him the physical machine where
the application is running, I guess it would be pretty hard to migrate
the server from a virtual machine quickly enough. I guess there are
other ways to figure out if you're running in a VM or a real machine,
although it's a Matrix-movie-like problem - what if VMs were optimized
to look like real machines.

| Maybe we are abusing the term "federation" (meaning something in between
| decentralized and distributed, depending on the day), and perhaps it is
| a valid use case that different "federations" impose extra restrictions

That's exactly how the word 'federation' came about in Jabberland.
Act unlike IRC that requires trust between its servers. I don't think
we should give up open "federation" but I can imagine finding a
mathematical method that evaluates the trust between servers based
upon the trust between its users. After all creating a web of trust
between users on various servers is what a decentralized social
network is all about, so we are the ones who have that information
while other applications could borrow it from us. Mail servers for
example. Social networks can be the key to eredicate SPAM, if we
provide WoT logic to SMTP.

| can talk with any other, but maybe *only maybe* some sites desire to
| federate among equals and deny the access, let's say, to facebook users.

That would be an automatic result of trust maths, unless an admin
adds some bias.

| All this to say that searching in a distributed graph can
| be the achilles heel of the system (we've seen that before), and that
| I cannot imagine how else could we solve this in the classical GLAMP way,
| apart of waiting for any central crawler to come and index us. Surely my
| problem is the one of only finding nails while holding a hammer :)

I don't understand why finding things would be of crucial importance.
If it works out, fine. My way of thinking about this has been to send
out a search request to my "friends" and maybe 2nd level friends, and
if the agents receiving that query have an answer, I'm lucky. Social
(legal) file sharing is the most obvious use here, but there should
be more. Still, searching is not a function that a social network
needs to be functional in my point of view.

--
___ psyc://psyced.org/~lynX ___ irc://psyced.org/welcome ___
___ xmpp:address@hidden ____ https://psyced.org/PSYC/ _____