Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure

From: James Walker
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:56:45 -0400

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Ted Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 18:56 +0200, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> Why cant we do both and have the best of both worlds?  I dont think
>>   there's anyone that's said, 'hey lets NOT do a desktop client', just
>>  that with limited resources the core project team wants to focus first
>>  on a GLAMP solution.  What's to stop you adding a blazingly fast
>>   native client in parallel?
>
> We can do that. It would be definitely sub-optimal, because we'd
> essentially have a fork (two implementations of the core, at least). We
> would need a strictly and consensually defined protocol for core/UI
> communication.
>
> The contention here isn't the UI. Everyone agrees that a web UI would be
> nice, as would a desktop-based UI. People disagree on the implementation
> of the core as a GLAMP application versus a conventional daemon. But if
> we accept the duplicated effort, there's no reason not to have both.

I would reiterate here that the underlying protocols (platform,
language, etc agnostic) would be the important piece of any attempts
at a federated network. Get those right and the discussion of language
and platform becomes moot. Get a reference implementation (or two) in
the wild and hope to build adoption from there.
--
James Walker :: http://walkah.net/