Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:57:46 -0400

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 11:10 +0200, Sylvan Heuser wrote:
> I've finally caught up with the mass of emails from the weekend... :-)
>
> So, personally, I would favor Carlo's approach. I like having perfect
> technologies, and I agree that they have social implications.
> But obviously we can't direct all our efforts in that direction.
> So why don't we think about a future-proof design, but apply it to the
> quick PHP hack Blaine&Matt want to see?
>
> I think we can handle this by abstracting the transport layer like Ted
> said - and focus on the HTTP module first.
> If the abstraction is "abstract" enough, we can think about implementing
> our own PSYCish protocol later, but would still be able to have quick
> results in PHP. This would probably even play well with an Elgg fork,
> depending on how they did it.

It would also be good to have a clear distinction between the core (the
program that communicates between nodes, forwards communications,
publishes data, etc.) and the UI. If we have that, we can write a GLAMP
core and GLAMP UI now, to run on commodity webhosting, and write a
C/Python/D++/Go daemon later that has transport layer modularity. That
would be a pain, but it would get the network up sooner and wouldn't
break the network later.