Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure

From: László Török
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:56:01 +0200

2010/3/31 Carlo von Loesch <address@hidden>
Dear Social-discuss, don't look for László Török's original posting.
 He sent it to me in private by mistake. I'll quote it in full.

Thx and apologies.

you should be seeing https://psyced.org/~lynX?lang=en but by mistake
 it shows the fields in my language, not yours. Bug filed.
English is not my native language, can deal with German as well. ;)
structures in the entire decentralized network. I don't even want my
publicly accessible profile to be spidered and semanticized. I only
want my friends to have that level of data quality.

Actually, you can define different levels of access control to restrict access to sensitive content.
There are quite a few ways to do that. One approach is http://esw.w3.org/WebAccessControl.

 There is no need to go and check out profiles. You already have
the entire social graph on your laptop and perform computations on
who might be able to help you with your maths homework or whatever.
And it's not just some outdated cache. By definition of the protocol
you always have the current graph with current phone numbers of your
friends and whatever else they put in there, available on your hard
disk to build amazing tools upon.

Again, it's your choice, there nothing that prevents you to make this data available in your local RDF store.

PSYC could just as well be adapted to additionally support RDF and SPARQL.

Now, your are putting words in my mouth...:)

The embedded world could use semantically rich protocols that are
actually fast to parse and process, right?

Sure, not willing to exclude them, but I would focus on desktop and server as a first shot as it is a easy win.

Sometimes brilliant ideas have great success, no matter if the
implementation is good or bad.

I'd rather write sg. suboptimal that gains traction, but I might be wrong.

Any thanks for the nice summary. I think it was valuable piece of material for everyone of us.