Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure

From: Carlo von Loesch
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:55:19 +0200 (CEST)

Melvin Carvalho typeth:
| Whether it was right or wrong, it's something that is ubiquitous today, and
| the decisions made to get us to where we are should be respected, things
| could have turned out very differently.  Even with non optimal technology
| the web has had an amazing first two decades.

May I just dare to mention that the Internet was a great place to be
before the web came? Not saying it wasn't after, but it wasn't so bad
without the web either.

The success of technologies has frequently been to a large extent
unrelated to the quality of their implementation. Since we are not
deciding upon the success of Gnu Social yet (in fact we never will)
what we can do is make quality decisions, so in case what we do
becomes widely adopted, it isn't yet another something humanity
is stuck with, even though it's suboptimal. We already have plenty
of technologies of that kind.

So using what's popular is not a good design criterion for
software of long term relevance.

--
___ psyc://psyced.org/~lynX ___ irc://psyced.org/welcome ___
___ xmpp:address@hidden ____ https://psyced.org/PSYC/ _____