Re: [Social-discuss] Comments: GNU social relationship manager

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Comments: GNU social relationship manager
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:47:18 -0400

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 10:21 -0400, Matt Lee wrote:
> On 06/23/10 09:16, Ted Smith wrote:
>
> > Interesting. Diaspora makes the URL secure with OpenPGP - it seems like
> > a major loss to not have *any* protection on that level. It's hard to
> > say we care about privacy more than Facebook when we don't offer
> > comparable protection of user data.
>
> To be clear, we're talking about assets here... so, if you go to:
>
> http://gnusocial.biz/a/e27255274fc02a83b06379d6cc918856f526a8cb.jpg or
> whatever, once that URL is out there, we don't propose doing any other
> checking on that URL, but I think there's a possibility for us to give
> people an option to regenerate that URL.

That's less hand-wavy than I originally thought, but what do you mean by
"asset"? Are we abandoning human-readable URL's? To be fair, Facebook
might do that, but it still seems like a lose.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to require authentication for
privacy-protected resources. It seems like that has to happen at some
point - especially if we want any homepage (like identi.ca/user) that
has both public and private data.