[STUMP] Weird behavior with XRandR and two screens

From: Joeli Hokkanen
Subject: [STUMP] Weird behavior with XRandR and two screens
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 18:54:22 +0200

Hi all,

I've been using StumpWM with two monitors and Xinerama for a long time
without any problems. However, after getting a new box I had to switch
to XRandR for multihead capabilities. From what I've seen and what I
heard on #stumpwm, this /should/ work flawlessly.

I set up XRandR using the following configuration:
Main monitor is a 19" widescreen TFT (1440x900) and XRandR identifies
it as ``TMDS-1''.

Second monitor is a cheap 15" Dell TFT left of TMDS-1 (1280x1024),
XRandR sees it it as ``VGA''.

As they use different resolutions, I put a ``Virtual 2720 1024'' line
on my xorg.conf.

Now, no matter what I do, StumpWM just sees the virtual desktop as one
huge screen instead of two different ones. This wouldn't be a big
problem if the monitors used the same resolution, but as my main monitor
is only 900 pixels tall I have to create an empty dummy frame in that
screen to prevent applications from escaping off-screen. The mode-line
would also be nicer if it were only on one monitor.

Every other WM I've tried (Ratpoison, Openbox, XMonad, and awesome)
recognized both screens independently and correctly, so I think this is
a problem with StumpWM rather than my setup. For the record, I'm using
the git version. I also tried with 0.9.5 release, but it didn't work
either.

Thanks in advance,
Joeli