Re: [STUMP] Weird behavior with XRandR and two screens

From: John Li
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Weird behavior with XRandR and two screens
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 19:48:12 -0400

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 06:54:22PM +0200, Joeli Hokkanen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using StumpWM with two monitors and Xinerama for a long time
> without any problems. However, after getting a new box I had to switch
> to XRandR for multihead capabilities. From what I've seen and what I
> heard on #stumpwm, this /should/ work flawlessly.

Yes, it /should/ =). It works fine for me, fwiw. There is still at
least 1 bug related to adding/removing monitors while Stump is running
that causes it to crash, I believe, but I had a hard time figuring it
out and haven't run into it in a long time.

> Now, no matter what I do, StumpWM just sees the virtual desktop as one
> huge screen instead of two different ones.

Hm, weird. Try evaling this with the "eval" command, or through
"stumpish" - you probably need to use the stumpwm package:

;; use stumpwm package
(in-package :stumpwm)

;; list the heads that stumpwm knows about
(screen-heads (current-screen))

You should get a list of frame structs (StumpWM models heads as
frames), one for each monitor you have, if everything is working. In
your case, you probably just have 1 element so the output looks like:
"(#S(frame 0 NIL 0 0 2720 1024))", or so.

And what's the output of just running "xrandr"?

-John